Calling All Musicians: Auditions for Uzo’s House Scheduled for Sat., June 1
Crescendo Music Loft is pleased to announce its upcoming auditions for “Uzo’s House” – the house band for our increasingly popular “Groove” monthly open mic for teens and related “Get Your Act Together” networking and rehearsal experience. Co-directed by Wiley Bartels on drums (sophomore at Guilford High School) and Abigail Connolly on vocals, bass, and keys (junior at Guilford High School), the band is in need of a second bass guitar and drummer as well as two guitar players, keyboard players, singers, and lead instruments) for this joint, all-volunteer project between talented youth on the shoreline and Crescendo Music Loft. Auditions shall be held on Saturday, June 1 at 1:00 pm in our performance studio located at 5B Old Post Road (2nd floor) Madison (in the boatyard above East River Marine.) Drums, keyboard, guitar and bass amplifiers as well as microphones and full PA system are provided free of charge.
Bring a one- to two-minute excerpt of song of your choice to play or sing.
Come prepared to participate in one of the following songs in the original keys:
- Autumn Leaves (G Major)
- Every Day I Have the Blues (Bb Major)
- Sissy Strut (C minor)
- Sunday Morning (C Major)
- Eight Days a Week (D Major)
There will also be a surprise element
Be able to read a chart.
Solo opportunities will be provided.
Expectations for Uzo’s House Band
- Come to monthly rehearsals (currently scheduled for Saturday prior to Get Your Act Together)
- Participate in Get Your Act Together (last Saturdays 1:00 – 3:00)
- Open The Groove with 2-3 songs (maybe open second set as well)
- Participate in group chat
Ideally, we’ll have enough musicians to staff two entire bands, and band members can switch in and out according to availability.
Why have a house band?
- To get a chance to play in a comfortable environment
- Get more people will be interested in coming out to The Groove
- Provide structure
- Strengthens community
- Provide a place for up and coming musicians to have their own combo experience outside of school
- Provide safe place
- Have FUN playing music
- Meet people
- Set a musical bar that is high but reachable